CATS, Baton Rouge, LA: Procurement Manager
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
SUPERVISION RECEIVED FROM: Chief Administrative Officer DEPARTMENT: Procurement
WORK SCHEDULE: Monday to Friday 8:00a.m to 4:30pm SUPERVISION EXERCISED OVER: Lower Level Procurement Staff
SUMMARY: The Procurement Department Manager’s duties include performing avariety of professional level duties in support of the Procurement Department. The incumbent evaluates the efficiency and effectiveness of purchasing functions and operations, prepares appropriate documentation to substantiate recommendations for the Board to award contracts and performs related duties as assigned. Duties include, but are not limited to, working with vendors and contractors; preparing technical specifications for supplies and services; working with the proposal evaluation committee and management, and assisting in evaluation of advertised solicitations and informal/formal bids. The incumbent is responsible for planning, scheduling, initiating, monitoring and quality assurance of all procurements and contract activities. The work requires independent and sound professional judgement and is performed under the general direction of the Chief Administrative Officer (CAO). The incumbent complies with the Louisiana Public Bid Law and all other rules and regulations that govern the public sector as they pertain to purchasing, especially those promulgated by the FTA and DOT.
CATS is an equal opportunity employer. As such, CATS will recruit, hire, train, and promote in all job levels the most qualified persons without regard to race, color, creed, national origin, sex, age or handicap. All employment decisions are based on job-related standards and must comply with the principles of equal employment opportunity.
- Serves as the lead for CATS Procurement Department.
- · Ensures statutory, regulatory and policy compliance.
- · Prepares action items going before CATS Board of Commissioners in regards to solicitations and/or contract awards, modifications, etc.
- · Makes recommendations on policy and procedures as needed to ensure the success and compliance of all procurement related activities.
- · Manages the day to day operations and functions of departmental support staff.
- · Develops and advises with regard to purchasing policies and procedures.
- · Maintains expertise on requirements of Federal Transit Administration (FTA) Third Party Contracting, 4220 and Louisiana Public Bid Laws and other regulations affecting CATS procurements.
- · Develops and applies purchasing policies and procedures.
- · During state or federal audits or reviews, maintains records and support documents, ensuring compliance with applicable state and federal laws, regulations and policies.
- · Assumes leadership role in the development of the Procurement Department annual operating budget.
- · Assists CATS personnel with understanding the procurement process and requisition preparation.
- · Performs other duties associated with partner departments as directed by management.
- · Sets work objectives, directs, supervises and reviews staff and staff assignments.
- · Prepares and evaluates all solicitations in accordance with Louisiana Public Bid Laws and Federal Transit Administration (FTA) Third Party Contracting requirements (4220.1).
- · Establishes CATS bid standards and prepares procurement documents to publicly solicit bids and contracts; evaluates and recommends the selection of contracts.
- · Incorporates best practices and market research into procurement procedures to ensure CATS obtains the best possible price.
- · Works with CATS staff and others to ensure that purchased supplies and services meet the needs of staff, including price, delivery, quality and timeliness.
- · Meets with vendors to review product offerings, maintains the qualified and monitors an established qualified vendor list.
- · Develops, initiates and enhances changes in the purchasing process in order to simplify system and workflow and ensure compliance with public sector purchasing rules and regulations.
- · Develops, monitors and pursues new trends and activities within the purchasing profession that will enhance all aspects of the procurement process.
- · Keeps up-to-date on laws, regulations, policies, trends and best practices as they pertain to public sector purchasing.
- · Attends State and Federal Procurement training regularly.
Desired Education & Experience
- A Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Public Administration, Accounting or related field and three years of progressively responsible experience in public procurement, including Louisiana Public Bid Law (Title 38 or 39) or a high school diploma and ten years’ of progressively responsible experience in a public procurement office.
Desired Skills & Abilities
- Thorough knowledge of operations, services and activities of public procurement and its administration. Knowledge and understanding of public contracting processes and related federal, state, and local regulations. Knowledge of principles and practices of Louisiana Public Bid Law. Skill in conducting financial analyses. Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing. Effective public presentation and department/staff management skills. Ability to operate standard office equipment. Ability to monitor and report budget variances. Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality. Prior transit experience and/or experience applying FTA regulations strongly preferred.
All job listings display for a period of 90 days. After 90 days, the listing is considered expired.