CAPITAL METRO: Program Manager, Communication and Public Information Officer
The Program Manager, Communications and Public Information Officer reports to the Director of Brand Communication. This position is responsible for the development and implementation of external communications and media relations to support Capital Metro’s brand messages and agency objectives. This position is the chief spokesperson for all media contacts. Communicates with the President & CEO and senior-level management on communication practices and media relations issues. Provides external communication counsel on operational and policy matters and develops a group of media trained subject matter experts. The ideal candidate will possess the readiness and dedication necessary to make a difference within Capital Metro and the community we serve.
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY
Capital Metro is deeply committed to building a workplace where inclusion is not only valued but prioritized. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and committed to creating a welcoming and diverse environment. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, pregnancy, age, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws. Capital Metro makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and organization needs at the time.
- Oversee all message development used in earned media opportunities while ensuring message consistency with partners in marketing and internal communication.
- Serve as Capital Metro’s chief news media contact and agency spokesperson; maintain around-the-clock media availability for crisis communications.
- Counsel and communicate with Board of Directors and senior level management on media relations issues.
- Write news releases, opinion editorials, media advisories, talking points, fact sheets, blogs, and presentations and develop strategies for their distribution; oversee the creation of photos, videos, and creative content development to support public relations activities.
- Coordinate responses to media requests.
- Create and coordinate media events.
- Develop and maintain Capital Metro’s crisis communications plan.
- Utilize all appropriate media platforms, including social media, to communicate with the news media, customers and community during emergency or crisis situations.
- Establish and maintain positive work relationships with reporters, bloggers, editorial boards, and social media influencers.
- Advise and prepare executive staff and other subject matter experts for media interviews, blogs and participation in other communication formats.
- Coordinate the training of personnel on how to effectively and confidently communicate with the news media.
- In partnership with the Director of Brand Communication, oversee the management of the department budget.
- Maintain compliance with records management standards and company policy.
- Develop and implement innovative and effective communication strategies.
- Oversee procurement processes for public relations firm and other outside vendors, as needed.
- Respond to Public Information Act requests from news media in coordination with legal department.
- Oversee the development and coordination of special events such as news conferences, grand openings and special event transportation as assigned or requested.
- Assist with Capital Metro government relations as assigned.
- Support the Customer Service team with message development to customers and the general public.
- Supervise collection and distribution of electronic news clips for Capital Metro staff and Board of Directors.
- Track and maintain archives of key messages and materials related to public outreach and education.
- Coordinate communications activities with public relations and advertising agencies as assigned.
- Facilitate assignments for support staff and interns.
- Support Capital Metropolitan Transportation Authority’s Safety Management Systems (SMS) process by following safety and security policies, considering safety in every action and reporting safety and security concerns.
- Perform other duties as required and/or assigned.
Desired Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Communications, Public Administration, Public Relations, or related field. Additional experience may be substituted on a year-for-year basis for up to four (4) years.
- Seven (7) years of progressively responsible experience in communications or public relations and experience presenting to senior management and Board of Directors.
- Supervisory/management experience or the ability to complete approved training within 12 months of employment.
- Bilingual in English/Spanish with the ability to translate material preferred.
- Proven track record of success serving as media spokesperson, preferably in the public sector.
Desired Skills & Abilities
- Working knowledge of public relations principles, practices, and research and planning techniques.
- Demonstrated knowledge of how the news media function, such as differing needs and philosophies of the region’s various news outlets, including understanding the constant cycle of news as well as the special needs of social media networks and reporters working under deadline pressure.
- Understand the principles and practices of organizational communications, public information and the proven ability to develop, implement and evaluate applicable communication plans.
- Work closely with staff at all levels and in a team environment with a fast-paced, deadline-oriented atmosphere.
- Advanced interpersonal skills and the ability to effectively interact with all levels of employees, media representatives, the CMTA Board of Directors, the public and all parties, both inside and outside of CMTA in a diverse socio-economic and cultural environment.
- Knowledge of local media, community leaders, governmental bodies and elected officials.
- Advanced skill in copy writing and editing for news releases, newsletters, speeches, presentations, brochures, and collateral material; able to direct photography, videography and creative content development to support public relations efforts.
- Ability to research and quickly synthesize information, present it creatively, and in a variety of formats and mediums to target audiences.
- Ability to work quickly under deadline pressure in stressful situations, after hours and on call.
- Technical proficiency with computer hardware and software, including Microsoft Word Suite and Microsoft PowerPoint.
- High level of analytical and creative skills and the ability to find solutions to complex interpersonal, professional technical and administrative problems.
- Ability to effectively work as a team player. A self-starter responsive to organizational needs, committed to excellence and continual employee development.
- Ability to comprehend complex materials such as technical reports and articles and to concentrate on details when coordinating activities, preparing speeches and articles or when developing media communications.
Salary Range79,966.00 to 99,958.00
All job listings display for a period of 90 days. After 90 days, the listing is considered expired.