CAP METRO: Specialist, Occupational Health & Safety
WHO WE’RE LOOKING FOR
Are you looking for an opportunity to use your investigative and problem-solving skills? Capital Metro is looking for a highly skilled and engaged individual from the Occupational Health and Safety field.
The Specialist, Occupational Health and Safety (OHSS) reports directly to the Director of Safety. This position will review, evaluate, and analyze work environments and design programs and procedures to control, eliminate, and prevent disease or injury caused by chemical, physical, and biological agents or ergonomic factors. May conduct inspections and enforce adherence to laws and regulations governing the health and safety of individuals.
WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU?
•Work with a diverse, collaborative and energetic workforce whose focus is to bring innovation into the industry and how we serve our customers and team members.
•When not working remotely, utilize our free and reduced fare transit service to get to the office and then plan to hit the gym (for free) and work with our onsite trainers, before heading back home.
•If you have children from 6 months to 6 years old, enroll them in the onsite award-winning Child Care and Learning Center.
•…and much more!
WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW
Capital Metro is deeply committed to building a workplace where inclusion is not only valued but prioritized. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and committed to creating a welcoming and diverse environment. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, Ability to understand ISO certification requirements and programsnational origin, disability, pregnancy, age, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state or local laws. Capital Metro makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and organization needs at the time.
- Order suspension of activities that pose threats to workers' health or safety.
- Investigate accidents and incidents to identify root cause(s), causal factors to determine how such accidents and incidents might be prevented in the future
- Recommend measures to help protect workers from potentially hazardous work methods, processes, or materials
- Inspect or evaluate workplace environments, equipment, or practices to ensure compliance with safety standards and government regulations
- Collect samples of dust, gases, vapors, or other potentially toxic materials for analysis'
- Investigate the adequacy of ventilation, exhaust equipment, lighting, or other conditions that could affect employee health, comfort, or performance
- Conduct safety training or education programs and demonstrate the use of safety equipment
- Investigate health-related complaints and inspect facilities to ensure that they comply with public health legislation and regulations
- On call 24/7
- Support Capital Metropolitan Transportation Authority’s Safety Management Systems (SMS) process by following safety and security policies, considering safety in every action and reporting safety and security concerns
- Perform other duties as required and/or assigned
Desired Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Occupational Health and Safety, Environmental Engineering, Engineering, Chemistry or related field. Related experience may be substituted on a year-for-year basis up to four (4) years
- Two (2) years of demonstrated experience in an industrial or environmental support role providing oversight to occupational health and safety programs
- Must maintain a valid Texas driver’s license or have ability to obtain upon hire
- Knowledge of federal, state, and local Environmental Health Safety related regulations/compliance requirements
- Knowledge of current and emerging issues and trends in area of regulatory compliance
- Ability to understand ISO certification requirements and programs
- Strong computer skills, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and data management software
- Effective communication skills, both written and verbal
- Ability to work independently, be a self-starter, and motivator
- Willingness to be flexible with time and adjust to a changing work environment
- Ability to use sound judgement and discretion in dealing with highly confidential information
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Strong risk assessment and problem-solving skills
Salary Range52,578.00 to 65,722.00
All job listings display for a period of 90 days. After 90 days, the listing is considered expired.