NTMC: Bus Operator
DEPARTMENT: Operations REPORTS TO: Operations Manager JOB LOCATION: DCTA Service Area
JOB TYPE: Full-Time, Part-Time and Seasonal PAY TYPE: Non-Exempt
HOURS: Days, Nights, Weekends, Holidays
LAST REVISION DATE: 1/2020
Provide safe, reliable, courteous, and efficient transportation service for customers. Ensure a commitment to safety through consistent and professional behaviors in performance of job requirements. Demonstrate safety and customer service as fundamental values that guide all aspects of our work. Operators on standby may be asked to perform additional duties including but not limited to shuttling personnel and or vehicles.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Sitting, standing, and walking for extended periods of time.
- Lifting, carrying, pushing, and pulling object(s) weighing up to 75 pounds.
- Continuous use of hands, fingers, and wrists repetitively.
- Using both hands and legs simultaneously.
- Repeated stooping, bending, and kneeling.
- Occasional pushing, pulling, and maintaining balance.
- Reaching over head.
- Rapid mental/muscular coordination.
- Verbal, auditory, and written capabilities to effectively communicate in an articulate manner.
- Accurate depth perception.
- Clarity of vision at varying distances to see small details and have color vision/distinguish shades.
- Operate mobile
- motorized equipment.
- Drive a vehicle to conduct work.
- Works outdoors and in inclement weather conditions such as rain, hail, ice, sleet, and in cold or hot temperatures.
- Direct contact with the public, customers and DCTA staff.
- May be exposed to heights, loud noises, fumes, dust, and other odors.
- Some assignments may require use of restraint procedures due to the nature and severity of the disabilities and/or assaultive or self-abusive tendencies of customers.
- May complete routes within tight deadlines and continuously changing priorities and interruptions.
- Work with moving vehicles and motorized wheelchair lifts and equipment.
- Paid Time Off (15 Days)
- $500 Sign on Bonus
- Medical: 100% Employer Paid for Employees / 50% Employer Paid for Dependents
- Dental / Vision: 100% Employer Paid for Employees / 50% Employer Paid for Dependents
- Life/Disability: Short-Term Disability, Long-Term Disability, Basic Life & AD&D; covered by the Employer at 100%
- Additional voluntary benefits offered during enrollment
- These duties are a general representation of the position; assignments may vary
- Develop and practice defensive driving skills to prevent vehicle or customer accidents. In the event of an accident or emergency, assist customers to ensure their safety.\
- Maintain courteous and professional demeanor with customers at all times.
- Provide accurate information to customers regarding fares, services, schedules and operation rules.
- Successfully perform scheduled service by picking up all customers on time and safely delivering them to their destinations within the designated timeframe, and when necessary, collecting the appropriate fare.
- Assist customers with boarding and exiting the vehicle, and secure wheelchair clamps or safety belts as required.
- Announce major streets, transfer points, and points of interest as required.
- Communicate effectively with dispatch or central office personnel to ensure safe and time of arrival and departure times.
- Perform routine safety inspections and associated documentation on assigned vehicle at assigned intervals, and immediately report all mechanical defects.
- Complete all necessary documentation as assigned, including: records and logs throughout the course of the day (i.e. odometer readings, times, and passenger information), and clear and concise incident reports as needed.
- Provide verbal and written reports to supervisors and management regarding services, safety, schedule, fare, and operational issues or concerns.
- For Safety and Security reasons, while on duty, ensures that the vehicle is free of debris on floors and seats. Empties trash along route when full.
- Perform job duties, and respond to situations, in a respectful and professional manner.
Desired Education & Experience
- Must have a valid driver’s license with an acceptable driving record.
- Must be twenty-one (21) years of age or older.
- Must have High School diploma or GED equivalent.
- Professional driving experience preferred, but not required.
- Previous customer service experience working with the general public, older adults, persons with disabilities, and/or other vulnerable populations preferred, but not required
Desired Skills & Abilities
- Ability to obtain/maintain a minimum Class B valid Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) with Passenger (P) endorsement for public passenger transport valid within the State of Texas.
- Ability to gain knowledge of service area and services provided.
- Ability to understand and utilize various technology (i.e. tablets, radios, app-based software, etc.).
- Ability to navigate the service area using maps and/or on-board directional equipment.
- Ability to communicate effectively and respectfully with customers at all times.
- Ability to remain calm in emergency situations.
- Ability to read, write and communicate in English.
- Ability to work with the public in a variety of situations while performing several tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to develop and maintain defensive driving skills and operate a vehicle in a safe and efficient manner, as demonstrated during training period.
- Willingness and ability to work various hours, including early morning and late-night shifts; split shifts; weekends and holidays; and split days off.
- Ability to report to work regularly and on time.
- Background check and satisfactory physical exam are required as a condition of employment
- Must submit to and pass all required DOT pre-employment, random, reasonable suspicion, and post-accident drug and alcohol testing
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with customers, employees, management and the general public, including those from culturally diverse backgrounds, older adults, individuals with disabilities, and/or other vulnerable populations.
Salary Range14.00/hour to 17.16/hour
All job listings display for a period of 90 days. After 90 days, the listing is considered expired.