CITY OF COTTONWOOD: Transportation Manager
|CDL License Class C (B Preferred), P Endorsement - The possession of a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL), Class C (Class B Preferred), with passenger endorsement is required or the ability to obtain within thirty (30) days upon employment offer.|
Full Job Description
This is an exempt, full-time, at will position, with full benefits, that serves at the pleasure and will of the City Manager. Expected hiring range is minimum of range 29; Hiring range: $30.70 per hour - $38.37 per hour. Full long term range of position is $30.70 per hour - $46.05 per hour.
DESCRIPTION: Under executive direction of the Deputy City Manager, plans directs, controls, and supervises the daily operations of the Cottonwood Area Transit and Verde Shuttle Systems ensuring that the maximum numbers of people are provided transportation services in a safe and professional manner. Provides leadership, guidance and direction for all transit operators and dispatchers; and performs related duties as assigned.
- Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks, knowledge, skills and other characteristics. This list is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY, and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by incumbents of this classification.
- Supervises the daily operations of the Cottonwood Area Transit (CAT) and Verde Shuttle System, which provides transportation for the residents of Cottonwood and surrounding communities and all commuter link services. Provides oversight and assists as needed in dispatching local calls for service for the Cottonwood Area Transit (CAT) and Verde Shuttle System; receiving requests for services by telephone or in person; scheduling requests both independently or with the assistance of transit operators; maintaining advance schedules for transit operations; audits operator daily logs, cash receipts and all system ridership numbers weekly, monthly and annually.
- Manages records of receipts and transmits monies to the Finance Department. Supervise all billing to clients on a daily basis, handles all administrative duties associated with the department; ensures that vehicle maintenance is performed each month as per state specifications and requirements.
- Mentors staff providing guidance and direction as well as performance initiates all staff evaluations. Obtains and provides necessary ongoing training as established by state law. Establishes individual and group goals and objectives for Cottonwood Area Transit and Verde Shuttle operations. Has responsibility for major personnel decisions (e.g. assists in hiring i.e. interviews and determines highest qualified candidates’ for advertised positions; implements discipline, and assists in termination, etc.) meet with staff to delegate assignments, check work periodically and answer questions/concerns.
- Oversees the preparation, representation, implementation, and administration of the city and state budgets; budgetary and fiscal reports to City Council and interested public groups; reviews and approves submittals to City and State officials for projects, expenditures and prepares all grants and grant activities; makes final determination of elements to be included in the budgets submitted to the City Council and State officials. Attends meetings on behalf of the city (regional and statewide) and represents the city and its leadership with outside agencies and prepares and defends budgets. Provides monthly fiscal tracking mechanisms to assure the department is working within its budget.
- Maintains various monthly reports to provide information and statistics for operational reports to the various entities that provide funding as well as various municipal management staff; assigns work schedules according to client needs on a pre-scheduled basis; works in harmony with staff in other departments to meet the needs of their riders; maintains fare schedules conducive to increasing the number of riders.
- Attends meetings on behalf of the city and Cottonwood Area Transit (CAT) / Verde Shuttle system to support both Demand and Fixed Routes. Promotes transportation for intercity/regional issues.
- Must be able to meet all DOT FTA drug and alcohol standards and meet the expectations and requirements for performing safety sensitive duties of the position.
- This classification involves work of a sedentary nature with periods requiring driving and/or dispatching in nature that are not hazardous or excessive difficulties to the work performed. This classification while driving involves light to heavy lifting and carrying due to passengers/parcels as required on and off the van/wheelchair lift.
Desired Education & Experience
- Knowledge of applicable federal, state, and local laws, ordinances, statutes, rules, regulations, policies, and procedures of transportation.
- Knowledge of provisions of the Occupational Safety and Health Act.
- Knowledge of various State and Federal Transportation Grant programs/activities.
- Knowledge of the traffic patterns in the Verde Valley.
- Knowledge of safe driving techniques/defensive driving techniques.
- Knowledge of drug and alcohol procedures/training etc.
- Knowledge of resources for transportation activities.
- Knowledge of passenger service and safety certifications.
- Skill in operating various size transportation vehicles.
- Skill in interacting with the general public as well as individuals with disabilities.
- Skill in developing and maintaining effective interpersonal relations, leadership and resource management.
- Skill in creating and maintaining official records.
- Skill in developing and maintaining effective coalitions with various groups throughout the city.
- Skill in performing multiple tasks at the same time.
- The equivalent of a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with a major in transportation safety or a related field and three (3) years experience providing transportation services for the general public including two (2) years in a lead or supervisory role. The possession of a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL), Class C, with passenger endorsement is required or the ability to obtain within (30) days upon employment Offer. Class B Preferred. Must have or be able to obtain a Level One Fingerprint Clearance card.
Salary Range$63,861 to $95,792
All job listings display for a period of 90 days. After 90 days, the listing is considered expired.