Valley Metro: Manager Rail Operations
FLSA: Exempt position, not eligible for overtime compensation.
*Position is open until filled. First Review of applications will be on 11/5/21*
The Manager, Rail Operations is responsible for the monitoring and evaluation of contractor operating compliance and day to day operations. Provides operational support for rail system design and operational technical elements, and operational efficiency of rail operations. Typical duties include monitoring and evaluating rail operations, on-time performance, contractor performance and compliance, developing and implementing a comprehensive implementation strategy; coordinating assigned activities with other departments; and providing highly responsible and complex support to the Deputy Director of Transportation and Project Integration. This position assists with rail transit activation and start-up operations as well as all integrated testing to ensure Valley Metro receives a safe and efficient system.
*Normal working conditions for this position are in both an office and field setting. Job duties frequently require the necessity to work beyond normal office hours for emergency callouts, special events and evening, and weekend meetings.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS / WORK ENVIRONMENT
Positions in this class typically require: climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, reaching, standing, fingering, grasping, feeling, talking, hearing, and seeing.
Medium Work: Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and/or up to up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
Work in shop or outdoors in all weather conditions. Incumbents may be subjected to moving mechanical parts, electrical currents, vibrations, chemicals, inadequate lighting, workspace restrictions and/or intense noise levels.
- Provides leadership and guidance for programs in Operations and Maintenance; develops and monitors methods for providing support to Operations and Maintenance.
- Management of contract oversight in coordinating the work and work product of the transportation services contractor ensuring optimum performance. Will perform audits to ensure compliance with safety practices and standard operating procedures (SOP's); coordinates and monitors rule change implementation; coordinates special event planning with contractor; ensures proper staffing and appropriate service levels are maintained.
- Applies methods and practices concerning operating strategies during unexpected circumstances.
- Collaborates with Maintenance of Way, LRV Maintenance and Facilities Maintenance departments to coordinate and resolve operational and maintenance issues.
- Manages operations to include reviewing, analyzing and monitoring daily operations to identify and resolve issues.
- Coordinates with local event centers and municipalities to safely and effectively meet the additional ridership demands; forges local bus and rail relationships and orchestrates maximum interoperability, connectivity, and emergency response procedures.
- Supports the preparation and implementation of the Rail Activation Plan including integrated system testing, pre-revenue operations and system safety. Oversees testing activities. Participates in the safety certification process, which entails vital controls with valid checks and balances.
- Provides direction in the design and functionality of the operations control center, signal systems, system communications, fare collection process and design, and rail vehicle design and procurement.
- Recommends, monitors, and administers the light rail operations budget. Directs and monitors expenditures in accordance with the approved budget; assist in the determination of operational resource allocation.
- Attend planning, design, and construction meetings as needed as part of the Valley Metro team on all rail extensions.
- Participates in design and review meetings, construction meetings and partnering meetings with bus operations, first responders, and city stakeholders.
- Gives formal presentations to staff; interacts with the public, consultants, contractors, governmental entities, Board of Directors, and other related parties to communicate related project performance.
- Attends and participates in professional meetings and incorporates new developments as appropriate.
- Participates in the safety certification process, which entails vital controls with valid checks and balances.
- Serves as a liaison for Valley Metro's light rail activation project and plans with other departments, outside agencies, and stakeholders.
- Performs other duties of similar nature and level as assigned.
Desired Education & Experience
- High School Diploma, or G.E.D. required.
- Minimum eight (8) years directly relevant experience in rail transit, streetcar, or public transit operating environment, including three (3) years of management experience.
- Five (5) years of involvement with system (signals, overhead power, Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA).
- A combination of experience/skills and education to fulfill the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this position may be considered.
- Background Investigation: Employment is contingent upon the results of a background check.
Desired Skills & Abilities
- Management principles and practices
- Light rail and streetcar operations
- Train control signals, Traction Power Substations (TPSS), overhead power, Supervisory
- Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) systems and Operations Control Center
- Rail operations relating to dispatch, control center, training, and field supervision
- Safe transportation operating procedures and guidelines
- Methods, practices, and procedures involved in a rail system
- Federal and State regulations affecting public transportation;
- Budgeting and financial statements and reports;
- Methods, practices and procedures involved in the public transit system;
- Local, regional, state, federal agencies, groups, and organizations related in transit agencies.
- Using computers and related software applications;
- Monitoring and evaluating employees and contractor’s work.
- Ensuring safety processes are followed;
- Prioritizing and assigning work;
- Multi-tasking and meeting various strict deadlines;
- Troubleshooting and solving a wide range of transportation and operational issues;
- Networking and maintaining a close working relationship with member agencies;
- Demonstrating prudent judgment;
- Solving operational problems; Communicating in order to interact with coworkers, supervisor, and the general public at a level sufficient to exchange or convey information and to receive work direction.
Salary Range$91,974.00 to $137,961.00
All job listings display for a period of 90 days. After 90 days, the listing is considered expired.