City of Amarillo Texas: Dispatcher/Route Supervisor
Under general supervision, this position is responsible for assisting in the coordination of day-to-day operations through participative supervision in all areas when needed; and provides responsible staff assistance to the Transit Operations Supervisors.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Must be able to lift items weighing 25 to 30 pounds and work outside during all types of weather.
Must be able to stand and walk on different types of surfaces and sit for extended periods of time.
Must have the ability to handle stressful situations due to heavy telephone, radio traffic, complaints and emergency situations.
Reasonable accommodation will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position. While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to exert up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force to move objects. The employee must also walk, stand, sit, hear, crouch, reach, speak, see, and talk. Also requires the ability to make rational decisions and perform repetitive motions.
The City of Amarillo is an Equal Opportunity employer and encourages applications from eligible and qualified persons regardless of race, color, religious creed, national origin, ancestry, age, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, familial status, disability, genetic information or protected veteran status, in compliance with applicable federal, state and local law.
The City of Amarillo provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities on a case-by-case basis. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process, please contact the Human Resources Office at 806-378-4294.
- Assist Operations and Safety & Training Supervisors with overseeing daily transit, fixed-route and paratransit operations; actively participate in all areas of operations when needed to ensure transit best practices of safety, efficiency and quality customer service is maintained.
- Respond to and investigate accidents, complaints from the general public incidents, customer disputes as assigned, in accordance with transit policy.
- Make recommendations for preventability of accidents to management; Coordinate problem resolution among operators and passengers.
- Coordinate problem resolution among operators and passengers. Monitor operator’s performance and behavior; ensure good customer relations, compliance with ADA and safety best practices, check and educate when needed on transfers collection.
- Conduct time point and on-board checks to ensure schedule and route efficiency.
- Prepare reports to management regarding driver knowledge and skills in the safe, efficient, customer service aspect of operations.
- Perform fixed-route and paratransit dispatching duties to include but not limited to, answering multi-line phones, data entry; maintain accurate records, maintain vehicle breakdowns data base, logs and files on both modes of service; create monthly reports.
- Assist in resolving schedule conflicts, “no-shows”, and cancellations.
- Schedule passengers, maintain and monitor daily manifest/schedules for efficiency; modify and update schedules as needed.
- Conduct paratransit eligibility assessments as assigned.
- Adjust driver schedules as needed; conduct ready line assessment and assign buses daily to operators.
- Driving duties as needed.
- Other duties assigned.
Desired Education & Experience
- A High School Diploma /GED is required.
- A minimum of three years of Transit related experience with increasing responsibilities is required.
- One year supervisory/dispatch experience preferred.
- A valid Texas driver’s license (CDL-B, w/passenger endorsement) is required.
- The City may consider all related education and/or experience in determining an applicant’s minimum qualifications and starting salary.
Desired Skills & Abilities
- Applicable federal, state and local rules and regulation related to City of Amarillo public transit system.
- Basic supervisory principles, practices and techniques.
- Modern office equipment including a computer and applicable software.
- Operational characteristics of all transit vehicles.
- Operational characteristics of all transit vehicles. Customer service standards and procedures
- Emergency response policies and procedures.
- Trapeze operating system for scheduling passengers.
- Operate commercial passenger vehicles when needed.
- Operate and office computer and a variety of word processing and software applications.
- Interpret and explain Amarillo City Transit policies and procedures.
- Coordinate effectively with maintenance regarding issues during revenue service.
- service. Read bus schedules and effectively provide information to the customers.
- Evaluate a situation and determine the appropriate course of action.
- Establish and maintain an effective working relationship all staff.
- Work as a team member, build and maintain a collaborative team environment.
- Communicate clearly and concisely.
- Supervise, train and evaluate staff.
- Understand, follow and enforce safety best practices.
- Investigate and resolve problems with all modes of service courteously and in a timely manner.
- Ability to effectively work with a diverse group of individuals including ACT staff, passengers, public agencies etc.
Salary Range19.00 to
All job listings display for a period of 90 days. After 90 days, the listing is considered expired.