City of Amarillo Texas: Bus Operator
Responsible for providing public transportation to the citizens of Amarillo. Transports persons within the city limits of Amarillo west of Lakeside. Must be capable of working independently in the absence of supervisory personnel. This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
Required to drive in all weather conditions.
Must be capable of sitting for extended periods of time and operate assigned equipment.
Must be able to lift items weighing in excess of 50 pounds.
Must pass a Department of Transportation physical and report to work drug and alcohol free.
Must also be able to read, write, hear and verbally communicate.
Must be able to stand and walk on different types of surfaces and sit in a driver’s seat for extended periods of time.
The City of Amarillo is an Equal Opportunity employer and encourages applications from eligible and qualified persons regardless of race, color, religious creed, national origin, ancestry, age, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, familial status, disability, genetic information or protected veteran status, in compliance with applicable federal, state and local law.
The City of Amarillo provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities on a case-by-case basis. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process, please contact the Human Resources Office at 806-378-4294.
- Drives vehicle, in accordance with all traffic laws, in a manner that will prevent any chargeable accidents, incidents or passengers injuries.
- Understands and applies pertinent laws and rules that regulate the operation of large motor vehicle.
- Follows a predefined Fixed Route pattern; board and alight passengers at bus stops; follow a posted time schedule without running early at the bus stops to ensure on time performance; and observes passengers as they pay their fares or places the passenger’s fare into the fare box if assistance is needed.
- Issues transfers for passengers and register passenger types on a counter; provide passengers with accurate route information including but not limited to trip planning, transfer locations, and schedule information.
- Safely operates a commercial motor vehicle, understands and interprets the functions of all gauges and switches on the control panel in order to detect mechanical problems; and reports mechanical problems immediately to dispatch so that repairs can be performed in a timely manner.
- Maintains contact with dispatchers and other operators via a two-way radio; coordinates the needs of the passenger with other operators and dispatchers.
- Performs relief and other duties as assigned by management or dispatcher including but not limited to helping in the dispatch office, completing paperwork, cleaning assigned vehicles as needed, and assisting in the smooth operation of the Transit department.
- Must understand and apply the Americans with Disability Act (ADA) regulations as they apply to public transportation; responds to persons with a disability requests in a polite manner; leaves his or her seat in order to operate the wheelchair lift and securement devices; and provides limited assistance to persons with disabilities such as sighted guide for a visually impaired person, assisting a person on and off the wheelchair lift, securing a person’s wheelchair, operating the wheelchair lift and announcing a designated stop upon request.
- Provides limited assistance to persons with disabilities, such as sighted guide for visually impaired persons, securing a wheelchair, operating the wheelchair lift and announcing a designated stop upon request.
- Completes a daily pre-operational vehicle check which includes but is not limited to cycling the wheelchair lift, note any defects in equipment such as brakes, tires, wipers, lights, etc. and check for body damage, reporting all vehicle defects in a timely manner.
- Reports all vehicle or equipment defects to Dispatch or a supervisor in a timely manner.
- Communicates any equipment failure with passengers and explain their options.
- Maintains a clean vehicle, fuels their vehicle daily and stores all securement devices after use to prevent accident, loss or breakage.
- Understands and applies Transit Department’s policies and procedures.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
- Must follow an established pattern according to a prearranged time schedule.
- Must understand the basic operational aspects of a large motor vehicle.
- Must be capable of understanding and interpreting the functions of all gauges and switches on the control panel in order to detect mechanical problems.
Desired Education & Experience
- High School diploma or GED is required. Previous experience operating a vehicle in excess of 30’ in length is preferred. A Texas Class B Commercial Driver’s License with Passenger endorsement is required. Must be able to pass a standard Department of Transportation (DOT) physical. The City may consider all related education and/or experience in determining an applicant’s minimum qualifications and starting salary.
Desired Skills & Abilities
- Must maintain contact with dispatchers and other operators via a two-way radio.
- Responsible for coordinating with other operators and dispatchers the needs of transferring passengers.
- Must have the ability to make sound decisions under stress and think clearly in emergency situations.
- Must also be able to effectively deal with personal danger that may include exposure to angry, violent, or dangerous persons.
- Required to respond to persons with a disability requests in a polite manner.
- Must leave his or her seat in order to operate the wheelchair lift and securement devices.
- Must be able to work and communicate effectively with a diverse population of persons.
- Each Operator must be capable of understanding and willing to use each type of wheelchair lift and securement device.
- Operators must understand the fixed route structure and have the perception needed to make sound observations and decisions
- Responsible for completing a daily pre-operational vehicle check.
- Must maintain a clean vehicle during their shift and store all securement devices after use to prevent loss or breakage.
- Must drive a vehicle in a manner that will prevent any chargeable accidents, incidents or passengers’ injuries.
- Must exhibit a cooperative attitude and promote teamwork with co-workers.
Salary Range16.00 to
All job listings display for a period of 90 days. After 90 days, the listing is considered expired.