VALLEY METRO: Assistant Manager Rails Operation
This position is a Light Rail and Streetcar based position. The Assistant Manager, Rail Operations supports operational efficiency for light rail system design and operational technical elements, and operational efficiency of light rail operations. This position will support rail transit activation and start-up operations as well as all integrated testing to ensure a safe and efficient system. Overseeing day to day operations and oversight of the Customer Experience Coordinator program. Typical duties include: Supporting the integration of assigned rail sections; day-to-day coordinating and monitoring work activities with staff, contractors, local jurisdictions and other affected outside agencies and ensuring adherence to establish policies and procedures.
- Physical Demands / Work Environment
Positions in this class typically require: climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, feeling, talking, hearing, seeing and repetitive motions.
Incumbents may be subjected to moving mechanical parts, electrical currents, vibrations, extreme temperatures, inadequate lighting, workspace restrictions, intense noises and travel.
Light Work: Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or negligible amount of force constantly to move objects. If the use of arm and/or leg controls requires exertion of forces greater than that for Sedentary Work and the worker sits most of the time, the job is rated for Light Work.
- The statements listed below describe the general nature and level of work only. They are not an exhaustive list of all required responsibilities, duties, and skills. Other duties may be added, or this description amended at any time.
- Supervises and coordinates the work and work product of the transportation services contractor ensuring optimum performance. Performs audits to ensure compliance with safety practices and standard operating procedures (SOP's); coordinates and monitors rule change implementation; coordinates special event planning with contractor.
- Applies methods and practices concerning operating strategies during unexpected circumstances.
- Monitors transportation services contractor to ensure proper staffing and appropriate service levels are maintained.
- Collaborates with Maintenance of Way, LRV Maintenance and Facilities Maintenance departments to coordinate and resolve operational and maintenance issues.
- Supports the preparation and implementation of the Rail Activation Plan including integrated system testing, pre-revenue operations and system safety. Oversees testing activities. Participates in the safety certification process, which entails vital controls with valid checks and balances.
- Participates in planning of new extensions and projects, conveying operational, safety and customer service needs related to each project. Provides support in design and review meetings, construction meetings and partnering meetings. Under direction of manager, serves as liaison for Light Rail Activation Plan and operations with other departments, outside agencies and stakeholders.
- Supports the development and review of plans including the Agency Safety Plan, Operating and Maintenance Plan and Rail Activation Plan.
- Strives to improve light rail operations and system safety by developing and recommending best practices for rail operations and system safety to mitigate hazards. Participates in accident/incident review process. Participates in safety-related committees such as the Safety and Security Committee.
- Is available on call for a 24/7 operation and may work varying shifts as needed.
- Performs other duties of similar nature and level as assigned.
Desired Education & Experience
- High school diploma or G.E.D.
- Five (5) years increasingly responsible light rail operations experience, including systems (signals, overhead power, Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) and also including a minimum of two (2) years light rail operations management experience.
- Employment is contingent upon the results of a background check.
- Valid Arizona Driver's License
Desired Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge of: • Light rail operations; • Train control signals, Traction Power Substations (TPSS), overhead power, Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) systems and Operations
- Control Center; • Rail operations relating to dispatch, training and field supervision; • Safe transportation operating procedures and guidelines; • Methods, practices and procedures involved in the light rail system;
- Skill in: • Managing projects; • Monitoring and evaluating transportation contractors' work; • Ensuring safety processes are followed; • Prioritizing and coordinating work; • Troubleshooting and solving a wide range of transportation and operational • Networking and maintaining a close working relationship with member agencies; • Using computers and related software applications; • Demonstrating prudent judgment; • Solving operational problems; • Multi-tasking and meeting various strict deadlines; • Communicating in order to interact with coworkers, supervisor and the general public at a level sufficient to exchange or convey information and to receive work direction.
Salary Range$73,810.00 to $110,715.00
All job listings display for a period of 90 days. After 90 days, the listing is considered expired.